For some time now, advertisers and marketing specialists have been changing the traditional way of offering their products or services to consumers, and virtual reality is one of the ways to reposition themselves in that field and reconnect with the public.
Currently, advertisers are trying to create more memorable and striking ads by applying virtual reality and making the ads more dynamic, immersive, and prominent. This type of content has been gradually developing in recent years, in which brands have created different experiences of interaction with the consumer, positioning themselves in a different way.
Not only humanity in general, but also advertising and marketing have had to adapt to constant changes quickly and efficiently; a change that was not expected yet in digital matters, and has arrived years ahead of schedule. Brands no longer intend to tell stories; through virtual reality, they seek to involve users and allow them to live their own experience.
Virtual reality allows us to go much further, making the consumer feel part of the message, not just as a tool that generates new opportunities in terms of content, but also creating a precedent for what can be expected for advertising in the future and its respective marketing campaigns.
According to experts, virtual reality is in a period of splendor, regarding advertising and marketing; firms are increasingly adopting this new technology and connecting in a special way with those consumers who are becoming familiar with the format.
Many companies are understanding the message and have started to use virtual reality to promote their products or services. It is not necessary to belong to a specific market, niche or segment to experience this technology. Anyone can advance and position themselves alongside, or above their competitors.
XY Studios, as a technology specialized company, offers users a unique and enriching sensation through virtual reality as a strong multi-experiential promotional and marketing strategy, innovating through interactive content and reducing the percentage of errors in business tasks and services.
Some aspects to consider in advertising and marketing that virtual reality positively influences:
- Innovation: Virtual reality makes the evaluation of good practices more interesting. New immersive and interactive experiences can be created through virtual reality headsets, 360° videos, and different applications. These spaces allow us to improve processes or carry out training.
- Greater interaction: This technology facilitates the relationship between the customer and the brand with an unlimited range of possibilities, which adds greater value to the company; virtual reality facilitates knowledge of each product or service.
- Long-term planning: Using virtual reality requires long-term planning, as it is in constant evolution and it is ideal to plan for several interaction alternatives, which is a way of being prepared for changes in the choice of content consumption and product or service preferences.
Some examples of virtual reality applied to marketing:
- HBO showed its users through the Oculus Rift (headsets equipped with sensors) an immersion in the seven kingdoms of Game of Thrones, in which the person entered an elevator and climbed a 200-meter-high glacier with wind effects to make it feel more real.
- The sports and hiking shoe company Merrell exhibited in 2015 its first moving commercial, from Rolling Stones magazine, where users felt the experience of walking on a mountain trail.
- Greenpeace launched the RV Explorer application in the market, using headphones at events, encouraging benefactors to immerse themselves in remote locations in the Arctic or the Amazon rainforest.
- Velux, a company specializing in roof windows and skylights, launched its MyDaylight application where customers visualize the benefits of an installation in their home or workplace.
- In 2015, The New York Times launched its NYTVR app with a film called Displaced, featuring a VR experience that creates a sense of place and space where viewers are shown three children displaced by war and experience being in a refugee camp. They have also published over 20 360° virtual reality films shot from different parts of the world every day.
As we can see, many companies currently use virtual reality as part of their marketing and advertising strategies; a powerful tool that allows them to get up close with their products or services, creating a good advertising perspective in terms of buyer awareness, accelerating the process, and offering more personalized options, resulting in a greater connection experience for users with their companies.